Tuesday, May 6
promises, promises
I just opened up some frozen seafood, which is destined to end its sad life story as a part of our dinner tonight, when I happened to notice this small promise on the box: Instant happiness. I was so exhilarated by the possibilities in those two words that I started grabbing other products on my kitchen counter to see what they might offer.
Unequaled power. Perfect results every time. Better brain health. A greener planet. All within my reach.
Seth Godin wrote a great post Sunday that summed up effective marketing in four words: Make big promises. Overdeliver. Judging from the boxes and cans in my kitchen tonight, most marketing is failing miserably. Even if these big promises I read do come true — and they probably won't — I won't even realize that they did.
It got me thinking: what implications do these four words have for the church? We can't make bigger promises than we already do: Grace. Eternal life. Meaning and purpose. Your sins against a just and righteous God not counted against you.
I know that it's ultimately God's job to overdeliver, and I have no doubt that He will. But He's both allowed us and commissioned us to be a part of that work.
Am I overdelivering on what I'm "selling?" Do I invite people to a big promise that's exciting to me -- that's changed my life? Do I help them see that change in their lives is a result of what I offered them, and then help them respond in greater devotion?
You can bet that Apple does. And Starbucks and Google and Bass Pro Shops do, too.
Am I giving even close to that same effort to the Great Message of our God and His Christ?
Unequaled power. Perfect results every time. Better brain health. A greener planet. All within my reach.
Seth Godin wrote a great post Sunday that summed up effective marketing in four words: Make big promises. Overdeliver. Judging from the boxes and cans in my kitchen tonight, most marketing is failing miserably. Even if these big promises I read do come true — and they probably won't — I won't even realize that they did.
It got me thinking: what implications do these four words have for the church? We can't make bigger promises than we already do: Grace. Eternal life. Meaning and purpose. Your sins against a just and righteous God not counted against you.
I know that it's ultimately God's job to overdeliver, and I have no doubt that He will. But He's both allowed us and commissioned us to be a part of that work.
Am I overdelivering on what I'm "selling?" Do I invite people to a big promise that's exciting to me -- that's changed my life? Do I help them see that change in their lives is a result of what I offered them, and then help them respond in greater devotion?
You can bet that Apple does. And Starbucks and Google and Bass Pro Shops do, too.
Am I giving even close to that same effort to the Great Message of our God and His Christ?
0 comments:
Post a Comment
