Thursday, May 1
on the reading list
About a week ago I added a "reading right now" list at the right of the blog. Currently it says that I'm working through Courageous Leadership (because I have to), The Blessed Life (because I ought to), and Mudhouse Sabbath (because I want to).
I don't know how I missed this little Mudhouse book when it was first published in 2003. Probably because that's the year we had Connor and we started the church. Add a side of spiritual warfare to that plate of new baby adjustment, and we all know how that year went down. Something like Parenthood meets The Exorcist.
Anyhoo, the full title of the book is Mudhouse Sabbath, An Invitation to a Life of Spiritual Disciplines, and since my life has felt pretty low both on the spiritual and the discipline these days, I thought I'd try another person's take on working the daily acts of following Christ.
What I got was totally unexpected. The author, Lauren Winner, is a Jew who converted to Christianity as an adult, and the book is her take on Christian disciplines from a Jewish perspective. Before I read it, I would have told you that I had a good handle on the Jewish traditions from whence we came. I was sadly mistaken. I certainly am not missing a life that requires these disciplines for my salvation, but I have missed out on the peace, beauty and spiritual healing behind many of them.
If you have the chance -- and it's a short, easy, conversational read -- pick it up.
I don't know how I missed this little Mudhouse book when it was first published in 2003. Probably because that's the year we had Connor and we started the church. Add a side of spiritual warfare to that plate of new baby adjustment, and we all know how that year went down. Something like Parenthood meets The Exorcist.
Anyhoo, the full title of the book is Mudhouse Sabbath, An Invitation to a Life of Spiritual Disciplines, and since my life has felt pretty low both on the spiritual and the discipline these days, I thought I'd try another person's take on working the daily acts of following Christ.
What I got was totally unexpected. The author, Lauren Winner, is a Jew who converted to Christianity as an adult, and the book is her take on Christian disciplines from a Jewish perspective. Before I read it, I would have told you that I had a good handle on the Jewish traditions from whence we came. I was sadly mistaken. I certainly am not missing a life that requires these disciplines for my salvation, but I have missed out on the peace, beauty and spiritual healing behind many of them.
If you have the chance -- and it's a short, easy, conversational read -- pick it up.
1 comments:
Post a Comment
Wow, I'm behind on reading your blog!! Oh goody - Lauren Winner! Her wonderful memoir, Girl Meets God, was my 'going to sleep' book for about a month. It is a keeper!
