Friday, May 9

go, kelly, go!

I went to pick up Katy Claire this morning after some Government-Mandated Tummy Play Time, and I found her on her back with that SAVE YOURSELF, BECAUSE EITHER I JUST ROLLED OVER OR ELSE THE EARTH TURNED UPSIDE DOWN look on her face.

I called all the Adkins boys in and told them of baby girl's latest accomplishment, and we all stood around her and congratulated her on the milestone of not having to lay on her face if she doesn't want to. We don't often all stare over her at the same time, though, so I am pretty sure she was thinking well, I knew it, they were only fattening me up for the summer, and now they are going to eat me for breakfast.

With the exception of the times I attempt to exercise, I have never really wanted to be younger than I am. But this morning changed all that. I found myself longing to go back to the time when I was encouraged in every little thing, where every smile or controlled body movement or good spelling grade was met with fascination and excitement. I think it might be nice to have a bunch of people who love me, standing around the bed, cheering me on when I can actually press OFF instead of SNOOZE.

At what point in life do the great things we do become commonplace and normal -- the new, uninspiring bar?

2 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)