Wednesday, April 9

Kelly 2.0

I thought that being able to blog from my new phone would lead to more posting on this site. You don't have to be Marg Helgenberger to deduce that this has not been the case.

My absence is not without reason: my new phone not only allows me to blog, it lets me email, text, IM, listen to music, keep my calendar, surf the net, play games, create documents, and watch TV. (And it calls people, too.) Through this small thin device, I have now become One with the Universe. And the universe is ONE OBNOXIOUS CHATTERBOX.

It's too hard for me to resist, all that instant knowledge and love. And so I have spent all my time the last few days investigating what every chime, beep and whistle coming out of my phone means to my soul. In doing so, I have neglected you, Invisible Reader. My deepest apologies and a box of Twinkies.

Computer lover that I am (this is where Mike coughs the word "GEEK!" into his hand and reminds me with a superior smirk that I was Vice President of the Latin Club in high school), I know that an upgrade in technology does not necessarily mean an upgrade in your life. You would think that I would permanently learn this lesson every Saturday night, when I am frantically trying to render media on the computer for Sunday and making unrealistic bargains with God. (Just make this video work, Lord, and I will Never Eat Carbs Again!).

No, technology doesn't make everything easier. Like every "improvement," it makes some things easier, and some things harder. Which is why, before you add something to your life, you had better decide what you're willing to subtract.

3 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)