Wednesday, April 16
notes from both ends of the timeline
I served in Connor's class again today, as I did on Monday and will do again next Wednesday.
My volunteer schedule isn't normally this intense, but the only card I'm currently holding in my hand when it comes to school is the Guilty Conscience Card. This is because I have severely overplayed the High-Risk Pregnancy Card and the Brand New Baby Card. I officially changed hands when I showed up to a fifth grade meeting in March, like, eight months into the school calendar, and one of the moms in Clayton's class squinted at me and said,
"Now, whose mother are you?"
It was time to do penance for my sins.
The older kids at school have been taking SATs this week. So, the school wisely shuffled all the five-year-olds, who leak the thought BE QUIET like a sieve, off to a couple of different field trips. On Monday, I wrote about our adventures at the Science Center. Today the class went to lead the chapel service at a retirement home.
There's something about very old people and very young people worshiping together that forces things into perspective like some kind of spiritual vise. From bookended views of life, you clearly see that unapologetic hugs, singing as loud as you can about Jesus, and juice and cookie hour are just about the only things that matter.
A 96-year-old man played the piano to accompany the hymns we sang as a group, embracing his purpose -- and his wife of 70 years -- with some of the purest energy and love I've had the chance to witness.
May it be so with Mike and me for as long as God allows us to serve together.
My volunteer schedule isn't normally this intense, but the only card I'm currently holding in my hand when it comes to school is the Guilty Conscience Card. This is because I have severely overplayed the High-Risk Pregnancy Card and the Brand New Baby Card. I officially changed hands when I showed up to a fifth grade meeting in March, like, eight months into the school calendar, and one of the moms in Clayton's class squinted at me and said,
"Now, whose mother are you?"
It was time to do penance for my sins.
The older kids at school have been taking SATs this week. So, the school wisely shuffled all the five-year-olds, who leak the thought BE QUIET like a sieve, off to a couple of different field trips. On Monday, I wrote about our adventures at the Science Center. Today the class went to lead the chapel service at a retirement home.
There's something about very old people and very young people worshiping together that forces things into perspective like some kind of spiritual vise. From bookended views of life, you clearly see that unapologetic hugs, singing as loud as you can about Jesus, and juice and cookie hour are just about the only things that matter.
A 96-year-old man played the piano to accompany the hymns we sang as a group, embracing his purpose -- and his wife of 70 years -- with some of the purest energy and love I've had the chance to witness.
May it be so with Mike and me for as long as God allows us to serve together.
0 comments:
Post a Comment
