Tuesday, June 10
ministry men: what your wives wish you knew
Something unexpected has happened on the blog lately: PEOPLE WHO SHAVE THEIR FACES ARE READING IT.
I'm talking about men, here, people, not Olympic swimmers or unfortunate hairy women. Although both of those groups are welcome here, too.
National church leaders Stevens and Noble both linked to my church hopper blog within the last week. And since their readerships are composed largely of guys in ministry, some of them have made their way over here.
Maybe they just wanted to see if I had more posts on stuff they've wanted to say about other people they don't like in their churches. Perhaps I can even make that a weekly feature: SCAPEGOAT SATURDAYS: I'LL SAY IT SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO. Although I'm thinking that Furtick might already have that job covered every day of the week.
So ministry men, you are welcome to hang out. I won't even make you use a coaster or wipe your feet at the door. And I probably talk about girl stuff less than the average female blogger. To be fair, there was that one post about the agony of choosing a purse that's the right size, and I once wrote about kitchen idolatry. But now you can't say I didn't warn you about those.
To be honest, though, I'd rather you ask your wives to join the fun.
I'm a pastor's wife, and my mother was before me, so I know: They are often lonely. Even in a place where they feel comfortable, they walk a fine, strange line every Sunday. When people introduce them as the pastor's wife, they get a lead backpack full of expectations and presupposition thrown at them in one short sentence. And it's harder for them to make friends sometimes, because they don't know who they can trust, or because people assume they are too busy or too spiritual for them.
They have a lot of pressure on them -- the same kind you do, and a different kind, too. They are often unsure how to encourage you when you're up, or comfort you when you're down. At their core, they want to be the best help they can to you, but sometimes they just don't know how. There aren't many resources for them, either. The ones that are there feel plastic or unrealistic.
One more thing: when someone strikes out at you, they feel it harder and longer than you ever will. Trust me.
I love them and cry for them in my prayers, though I don't even know them. They stand among the eternal, unsung heroes of the faith.
It would be my great honor to spend even a few minutes in their presence.
I'm talking about men, here, people, not Olympic swimmers or unfortunate hairy women. Although both of those groups are welcome here, too.
National church leaders Stevens and Noble both linked to my church hopper blog within the last week. And since their readerships are composed largely of guys in ministry, some of them have made their way over here.
Maybe they just wanted to see if I had more posts on stuff they've wanted to say about other people they don't like in their churches. Perhaps I can even make that a weekly feature: SCAPEGOAT SATURDAYS: I'LL SAY IT SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO. Although I'm thinking that Furtick might already have that job covered every day of the week.
So ministry men, you are welcome to hang out. I won't even make you use a coaster or wipe your feet at the door. And I probably talk about girl stuff less than the average female blogger. To be fair, there was that one post about the agony of choosing a purse that's the right size, and I once wrote about kitchen idolatry. But now you can't say I didn't warn you about those.
To be honest, though, I'd rather you ask your wives to join the fun.
I'm a pastor's wife, and my mother was before me, so I know: They are often lonely. Even in a place where they feel comfortable, they walk a fine, strange line every Sunday. When people introduce them as the pastor's wife, they get a lead backpack full of expectations and presupposition thrown at them in one short sentence. And it's harder for them to make friends sometimes, because they don't know who they can trust, or because people assume they are too busy or too spiritual for them.
They have a lot of pressure on them -- the same kind you do, and a different kind, too. They are often unsure how to encourage you when you're up, or comfort you when you're down. At their core, they want to be the best help they can to you, but sometimes they just don't know how. There aren't many resources for them, either. The ones that are there feel plastic or unrealistic.
One more thing: when someone strikes out at you, they feel it harder and longer than you ever will. Trust me.
I love them and cry for them in my prayers, though I don't even know them. They stand among the eternal, unsung heroes of the faith.
It would be my great honor to spend even a few minutes in their presence.
9 comments:
Post a Comment
well uh, I'm far from a pastor (I'm a college senior on his last semester), but I guess I can call myself a "ministry man", haha. Just wanted to say thanks for putting quite an honest post up here, not only for inviting other pastor's wives to join the conversation but also to give us a bit of insight to where you all come from. Lookin forward to some fun posts!
This is a great post Kelly. I wrote something today that I've been thinking about. If you have a chance, check it out. I think you might kind of relate...although you are much cooler that I.
:0)
www.michellewegner.typepad.com
:0)
www.michellewegner.typepad.com
Hi Kelly--forgive me but I don't remember how i got here...no matter--I'm glad I "ran into" your blog yesterday. I am a PW newbie (one year in August), though I smell what you are stepping in here with this post.
If you have a suggestion on how I can turn his mind off every once in a while, that would be great to know. :)I think that has been the biggest change we have encountered--the brain does not shut off.
I have seen some friends pull away since we made the transition to be full time,though on the flip-side, there are other friendships that have deepened. I do think WAY more before I speak nowadays, which I guess isn't so bad. :)
But you are right, more than when he was in the corporate world and more than when we planted this church, I feel the weight of the mantle of his leadership and want to be there how he needs me to be.
I appreciate you putting a voice to the thoughts in my head and I'll be back!
Oh yeah, I just remembered how I got here--it was through Tim Steven's blog post on your letter, which oh my goodness, was GREAT!
I would definitely opt for the cake next time too...
If you have a suggestion on how I can turn his mind off every once in a while, that would be great to know. :)I think that has been the biggest change we have encountered--the brain does not shut off.
I have seen some friends pull away since we made the transition to be full time,though on the flip-side, there are other friendships that have deepened. I do think WAY more before I speak nowadays, which I guess isn't so bad. :)
But you are right, more than when he was in the corporate world and more than when we planted this church, I feel the weight of the mantle of his leadership and want to be there how he needs me to be.
I appreciate you putting a voice to the thoughts in my head and I'll be back!
Oh yeah, I just remembered how I got here--it was through Tim Steven's blog post on your letter, which oh my goodness, was GREAT!
I would definitely opt for the cake next time too...
A college senior, Josh? Uh, I'm afraid you didn't read the rules that people who make me feel old are NOT ALLOWED TO COME HERE.
And hi, Michelle! I loved your post.
A huge welcome to all the PWs. I feel your pain, I do. But I share your joy as well.
And hi, Michelle! I loved your post.
A huge welcome to all the PWs. I feel your pain, I do. But I share your joy as well.
ouch! I thought PW's were nice people...at least they are on sundays. :P peace to ya (I'm subscribed to your blog btw.)
In the words of my daughter...."that's what I am talking about"! I love the "love" fest the men are having but I kept asking where are the wives? Thank you for the invitation, hoping to hang out more often.
I blogged you today-
http://tarasviewoftheworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/masking-unveiling-blog.html
I'm a pastor's wife too and I totally agree.
http://tarasviewoftheworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/masking-unveiling-blog.html
I'm a pastor's wife too and I totally agree.
What a beautiful, thoughtful post. I came through Tara.
HELLO! I CAME ACROSS YOUR BLOG TODAY And i know it was an answered to prayer! my husband is a childrens pastor. i am so discouraged . my hubby is great . but i sometimes feel my home church doesn't get we are a team . i often feel they pull us apart. thinkin i am super mom and wife! my job title is stay home mom!, uplifter and supporter to the hubby, and everyone else in my path. i can't vent without knowing who can be trusted. and i know sometime he trys but i know hubby doesn't understand where i am coming from. i feel woman in my church are distant and judgemental towards me. my hubby will have his school complete next May. he is currently an intern /childrens pastor at our home church. I KNEW IT WOULD BE DEMANDING , BUT LONELY I DID NOT EXPECT!! IT'S EASIER TO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO REALLY DOESN'T KNOW ME I JUST ASK FOR PRAYER, WHERE DO PASTORS WIVES GO FOR ENCOURAGEMENT!!!! WHEN U FEEL SO UNCONNECTED TO THE WOMAN IN YOUR CONGERGATION!!!thanks for the ear!!!! and GOD BLESS
