Thursday, June 5
an offer I often refuse
I was reading a mini self-portrait of Steven Hawking tonight, the famous theoretical physicist who's spent most of his adult life confined to a wheelchair, unable to speak or move as a result of the neurological disease ALS. In his story, he told of the time when he first began to be unable to get from his wheelchair to his bed or to feed himself well. To schedule the constant care he needed, he and his wife offered a few grad students an offer they couldn't refuse: trade their time caring for Mr. Hawking's frail body for time with his brilliant, unaffected mind. They jumped at the chance.
It struck me that Jesus offers us the same deal: to "share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory (Romans 8:17)." Yet how often do I lack the time and patience to sit with the beaten, wounded body of Christ, realizing that my trials are the best way I can be a part of His. Instead, I just grab at the hope of the resurrection without accepting the heartache and tragedy of the path to the grave.
God forgive me for believing I don't need to die before I can be raised to new life.
It struck me that Jesus offers us the same deal: to "share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory (Romans 8:17)." Yet how often do I lack the time and patience to sit with the beaten, wounded body of Christ, realizing that my trials are the best way I can be a part of His. Instead, I just grab at the hope of the resurrection without accepting the heartache and tragedy of the path to the grave.
God forgive me for believing I don't need to die before I can be raised to new life.
0 comments:
Post a Comment
