Wednesday, November 26
the long year
It was one year ago today that I stood in the spare bedroom at my parents' house and watched Death steal away with my brother. Even though he still drew labored, rattled breaths, he was already gone; I felt it without knowing why. But I leaned through the thick air of mortality to kiss his forehead anyway, saying goodbye. I have never felt so dead and so alive at the same time.
I wrote a story many years ago about how much he taught me in life. I am only now beginning to realize a few of the things he will teach me in death.
Sis misses you, Kevin. You are not forgotten.
I wrote a story many years ago about how much he taught me in life. I am only now beginning to realize a few of the things he will teach me in death.
Sis misses you, Kevin. You are not forgotten.
8 comments:
wow I did not know that you wrote that. It comes to be by email all the time.
The second thing that brought tears to my eyes this morning. And I've only been at it an hour. Praying for God to be that close to your heart today.
Your story about Kevin still makes me cry. What a beautiful example of sisterly love.
Gentle hugs to you and your mom and dad. Kathy Fox
Gentle hugs to you and your mom and dad. Kathy Fox
Praying for you and your whole family today, Kelly.
Remember often how you sang songs of hope in spite of all that was going on. Playing a little Everlasting God in honor of Kevin :) Love you
Thanks for sharing the story, Kelly--very compelling. I didn't know Kevin had gone to be with the Lord until I got your BLOG e-mail notification yesterday and read about the anniversary of his homecoming.
I only knew him through your stories...often very colorful :), but your BLOG and story really moved me.
thanks.
Jeff R.
I only knew him through your stories...often very colorful :), but your BLOG and story really moved me.
thanks.
Jeff R.
I know it's been a couple of days since you wrote your post, but I still wanted to give you a big hug via email. Blessings to you, Kelly. Thanksgiving will never be the same for you & your family - similar to how I feel about Maundy Thursday & my mother's passing. Life goes on for us, sadly.
Julie
Julie

His life marked mine, even in high school. Thanks for writing about him.
:)