Tuesday, November 18
is it okay...
...to be a Christian and be depressed?
16 comments:
It had better be okay, or else I guess I am on my way to hell.
I guess you mean stay depressed, not just be depressed? I don't think it's okay to stay depressed.
this is something I have questioned myself because there have been times where I have stayed depressed and it feels like nothing can pull me out of it..
hopelessness is sometimes a symptom of depression. i had two acute depressive episodes before coming to Christ (treated with the medication/counseling combo - honestly more medication than counseling). i don't know if it's a difference between chronic and acute depression, but even at my worst times i had hope. as a Christian, i'm finding it even harder not to have hope when i'm feeling down and out. trusting that God will be faithful is what pulls me through the really rough patches (though i didn't realize that in the past). if a person loses hope, perhaps they need to re-evaluate their relationship with God. having confidence in God's ability to orchestrate my life circumstances for the purpose of making me a better tool to further His kingdom keeps me moving forward (even when it seems as though i'm moving at a snail's pace).
I know quite a few "Christians" (myself included) who have struggled with depression, sometimes for longer than we care to remember. I know first-hand how "out of control" you can feel, no matter how earnestly you pray, no matter how hard you try to "decide" to feel better, or how often you shout out to God in total desperation, nothing makes it better. Nothing. This is an interesting subject, because I am a true believer that human beings have control over their fleeting feelings and daily moods; yet depression and anxiety can chuck these conscious decisions out the window. So, another question to add to the mix: Does long-term or recurring depression make a Christian less "Christianly", but makes another person who gets over it quickly more "Christianly"?
I have spent my whole adult life trying to reconcile this. On the one hand, the Bible speaks of having joy that endures. One the other, there are a lot of depressed people in there, too.
I can only answer this question with a "yes" because of my own personal experience. I call myself a Christian, and I often call myself depressed, too.
I can only answer this question with a "yes" because of my own personal experience. I call myself a Christian, and I often call myself depressed, too.
it depends what "okay" means. does okay mean "sinful"? in my opinion, being depressed is not a sin but staying depressed is a sin. the underlying/bigger question may be: is it okay to be a sinner? yes, as long as we repent, receive God's forgiveness and start over again, God's way. a righteous man falls seven times and rises again
I don't know that it matters how you feel if you are faithful and obedient in spite of it.
At least at some level it seems to not be okay, as most everyone so far is commenting anonymously or under a screen name.
Maybe Christians can and should use their experiences with depression to help others (Christian and non-Christian) navigate through depression. Maybe we are called to use all of our experiences as a chance to get closer to Christ, but also to connect with others and help them in their own walk. I would think that depression itself is not OK or not OK, but the choices you make while in such a state. One cannot and should not use depression as a "crutch" or excuse for behaving badly, treating others badly or making sinful choices.
A note on my previous comment...I by no means have all (or really any ) of this figured out and struggle daily with various issues and hope that I will be able to use my own struggles to help others or at least somehow turn them in to good.
The question needs a little more explanation. Everyone, including Christians, gets "depressed" over circumstances in their life. But circumstances should not control the joy and hope of a Christian which comes only from the Lord. On the other hand, "depression" most often comes as a result of either a serious health or mental issue that will not go away without some help, maybe from a professional but definitely from understanding Christian friends or family. There. Mom has weighed in on another subject - wanted or not wanted!!! Knowing my daughter as I do, she probably worded the question vaguely to get varied answers! And you'll note, I signed my name so I may be trouble!
I like "Mom"s comment on depression - well said! And I agree.
I think many times true sadness cannot be fixed by a snap of the fingers or by stating - "at least God loves me, therefore I should not be sad." Sometimes chemical imbalances really affect a person's outlook, and that imbalance needs to remedied by healthier food, better sleep, good conversation, and at times, pharmaceuticals.
I think it's perfectly cool to be sad at times. Some of our best literary works & fine music have come from depressed souls.
J/
I think many times true sadness cannot be fixed by a snap of the fingers or by stating - "at least God loves me, therefore I should not be sad." Sometimes chemical imbalances really affect a person's outlook, and that imbalance needs to remedied by healthier food, better sleep, good conversation, and at times, pharmaceuticals.
I think it's perfectly cool to be sad at times. Some of our best literary works & fine music have come from depressed souls.
J/
Absolutely, I think it is ok for a Christian to be depressed. There are a number of instances of people in scripture who are God's people but who fall into depression. Some that come to mind are Elijah, right after he embarrasses (and kills) the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel; David, when his son is sick; Jeremiah, pretty much constantly.
There's the saying that "ignorance is bliss". I often wonder if those people who are always happy and giddy are really just unaware of the world around them. People that I know who are intelligent, aware of their surroundings, and know scripture, tend to be people who are more melancholy. They're not always depressed, but always more somber, like the prophets I mentioned above. Could there be a cause-and-effect relationship there?
There's the saying that "ignorance is bliss". I often wonder if those people who are always happy and giddy are really just unaware of the world around them. People that I know who are intelligent, aware of their surroundings, and know scripture, tend to be people who are more melancholy. They're not always depressed, but always more somber, like the prophets I mentioned above. Could there be a cause-and-effect relationship there?
It's in a depression that we find water. For me I am only depressed when I am not connected to God and my faith is waning.

I'm not depressed (at least not currently!), but I've been asked this question many times by people I've talked with or counseled. Just interested in hearing what you have to say.