Wednesday, July 23
thoughts on change, that's all she wrote
Fall is creeping up on me like a slimy monster in the dark, and I've been away from the blog for a couple of days trying to beat it back with the two-sided club of denial and busyness. It's never worked before, but like most folks, I sit around asking God to bless the dull tools I have rather than asking Him to sharpen me up.
I confess it: I'm afraid of fall. I don't like the person I turn into when the season is crammed with school meetings and extra church work and holiday obligations. Summer Girl has a peaceful, breezy quality; Autumn Woman might roast you alive and eat you in small bites for dinner if you stand still long enough.
That's why I'm hoping to take my final thought on change with me into the new season: Focus on the deeper truth.
I won't take credit for this one — it comes from my husband, who has taught on it before. In the case of me changing my eating habits, it might work something like this:
"While it's true that nachos taste better than lettuce, it is more deeply true that I'm going to have to order my clothes from Tents-R-Us if I keep eating them."
As I move back into the craziness of fall at church and school, the deeper truth is coming with me. While it's true I will be busy, it is more deeply true that if I seek His kingdom first, He will add all peace, kindness, and manageable schedules unto me.
I confess it: I'm afraid of fall. I don't like the person I turn into when the season is crammed with school meetings and extra church work and holiday obligations. Summer Girl has a peaceful, breezy quality; Autumn Woman might roast you alive and eat you in small bites for dinner if you stand still long enough.
That's why I'm hoping to take my final thought on change with me into the new season: Focus on the deeper truth.
I won't take credit for this one — it comes from my husband, who has taught on it before. In the case of me changing my eating habits, it might work something like this:
"While it's true that nachos taste better than lettuce, it is more deeply true that I'm going to have to order my clothes from Tents-R-Us if I keep eating them."
As I move back into the craziness of fall at church and school, the deeper truth is coming with me. While it's true I will be busy, it is more deeply true that if I seek His kingdom first, He will add all peace, kindness, and manageable schedules unto me.
2 comments:
Post a Comment
A pleasant (if more shallow) thought: God brings the best weather to Central Florida in October. Still hot enough to go swimming mid-day, cool nights and the occasional crisp morning. There's something to the quality of the light that time of year...it's just beautiful.
i'll be praying for you as you head into the madness!
