Friday, July 18

thoughts on change, part one

I stink at change.

The times that I have personally made a giant, sudden shift in my behavior are fewer than the times I have allowed my heart rate to be raised by aerobic exercise. Which for the record, is only about 6.2. I had to quit that last time or I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A BLISTER.

I never understood why change was so hard, but God has recently written this profound truth on the stone tablet of my heart:

Change is just the free sample pack of conditioner that comes with the giant shampoo bottle of suffering.

I’m about as fond of suffering as the next gal. In fact, I just talked about this with the next gal a couple of days ago, and she summed me up with this little zinger: “somewhere we got the false idea that if God is with us, change should be easy.”

Thanks to His grace, sometimes it is. God is most often like a river, polishing and smoothing my stones into beauty. The change is too slow to perceive, but it is gentle. If I expect to be carved into a diamond in a few days, though...well, that’s going to take some drill bits and grinders.

God is doing a little cutting and polishing this summer. Over the next few days, I’ll be sharing what I’m learning.

3 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)