Tuesday, December 2
is it okay...
to doubt your faith sometimes and still call yourself a Christian?
13 comments:
Post a Comment
If it's not, then I'm sometimes in a lot of trouble.
I don't necessarily doubt my faith, but sometimes I doubt what God is doing and when He's doing it. I think that's more lack of trust than lack of faith in Jesus?
If you respond to this question, and you do doubt, I'd love to hear the ways that you doubt -- do you doubt God's existence/the basics, or just a portion of theology that you're supposed to believe?
Anonymous is always welcome :)
Anonymous is always welcome :)
Sometimes I doubt the whole thing. But what else do I have?
I definitely don't think that doubt pleases God. But as to whether doubt vs "believing on His name" so that you can be saved, I'm not sure. When I have doubts they are generally about why God would let something bad happen.
I don't ever doubt my faith because I know the change God has brought to my life.
I think for me it's more portions of the theology I'm supposed to believe. I'm finally at the point in my life when I have no doubts in my loving Creator, and in His Son, and I'm learning daily to trust and have faith in His plans. I have no doubt of His grace.
But there are some theological issues that I wrestle with--even things that are pretty clear in the Bible. I've come to the conclusion it's okay to have a conversation with God about it; I've learned to say, "Okay, God, if this is really what I'm supposed to believe, I'm going to need a lot of your help getting there."
Of course, I could be wrong...
But there are some theological issues that I wrestle with--even things that are pretty clear in the Bible. I've come to the conclusion it's okay to have a conversation with God about it; I've learned to say, "Okay, God, if this is really what I'm supposed to believe, I'm going to need a lot of your help getting there."
Of course, I could be wrong...
I often wonder where God is
I was taught that it is ok and even expected to doubt and question because only through questioning can you come to a deeper faith and deeper understanding of God and how you should be living. I have doubted and I have questioned more in this last year than probably my whole life. I had even changed my point of view pretty drastically. But then I had an experience and I do feel as though I believe more than I ever had. I know I will question again, but I also know its ok and I will again come to a deeper faith.
I sometimes question things that happen to people around me. For example, I know that we are fearfully and wonderfully made, I know that God knits us together in our mother's womb--but, since God does this, how do you explain Godly men and women who are stricken with disease? Did God intend for them to get sick? If not why did he knit their bodies with the genetic flaw? If so, why would he predetermine them to die a painful death?
Thomas doubted. He doubted when Jesus was standing in front of him, he wouldn't believe until Jesus showed him His hands and His feet. It's in our nature to doubt, goodness knows I do. There are days when I look at how big the universe is and I put God in a box. Then He answers yet another prayer or gives me another small miracle and I stop being such a doubter and start trying to glorify Him. It's human to doubt, it's Christian to keep the faith without seeing.
Yeah, it's okay. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't be possible to have human shortcomings and still be a Christian.
My doubt could be summed up as doubting whether God really likes me. Sure, he loves me, but does he really like me? I see God interacting with people around me and just blessing their socks off. He gives them close families, lot of friends, or even a Harley ;-). But, when it comes to me, God seems to say, "I give you food, clothing, and shelter, so what are you whining about?"
My doubt could be summed up as doubting whether God really likes me. Sure, he loves me, but does he really like me? I see God interacting with people around me and just blessing their socks off. He gives them close families, lot of friends, or even a Harley ;-). But, when it comes to me, God seems to say, "I give you food, clothing, and shelter, so what are you whining about?"
Yes, totally okay. God is big enough to handle my doubts, no matter how deep into my core they go. I echo an earlier commenter: my faith comes out stronger and deeper each time, my small understanding of my vast God maybe just a little less small.
I've doubted His existence, His benevolence toward me and those I love, doubted my own faith and whether I could really call myself a Christian when I repeatedly fell SO VERY short, doubted my salvation and His grace (as in, don't I have to do something more than this to receive grace?), doubted the direction He's taking me in life, doubted His promises to me. (In other words, you name it, I've doubted it. I'm just thorough like that.)
I've doubted His existence, His benevolence toward me and those I love, doubted my own faith and whether I could really call myself a Christian when I repeatedly fell SO VERY short, doubted my salvation and His grace (as in, don't I have to do something more than this to receive grace?), doubted the direction He's taking me in life, doubted His promises to me. (In other words, you name it, I've doubted it. I'm just thorough like that.)
