Thursday, December 4
the grace of the difficult
In 2009, it's possible I can rearrange my life to shed a few tasks and responsibilities and situations I don't care for — hard things I've been imagining a way out of for some time.
But should I?
I know from experience that it's the hard things that shape me the most. Trial and struggle work to make me more patient, more wise, more true to the picture God has in mind for me. But the heart yearns for the path of least resistance, like so much lazy water trickling its way toward a comfortable sea.
My difficult things are not sinful or harmful, or even that far out of the ordinary. I can make a strong case for why I should leave them behind, but the invisible thread tying the arguments together would be the word easier. So for the first time, I feel compelled to choose whether I will leave difficult things in my life on purpose, when getting out is within my grasp.
I'm not sure yet what I will do.
But should I?
I know from experience that it's the hard things that shape me the most. Trial and struggle work to make me more patient, more wise, more true to the picture God has in mind for me. But the heart yearns for the path of least resistance, like so much lazy water trickling its way toward a comfortable sea.
My difficult things are not sinful or harmful, or even that far out of the ordinary. I can make a strong case for why I should leave them behind, but the invisible thread tying the arguments together would be the word easier. So for the first time, I feel compelled to choose whether I will leave difficult things in my life on purpose, when getting out is within my grasp.
I'm not sure yet what I will do.
9 comments:
Post a Comment
The easy path is often also the wide path.
I had once resigned myself to an unpleasant situation and my mom warned me against the martyr mentality that believes that because something is unpleasant or difficult, it must be God's cross for us to bear, and we are more noble or godly for enduring it. While He may call a person to that path, we have to remember that God also said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. So I don't think that just because something is "easier" means it can't be of God. We talked alot at Grace this past year about creating margin in our lives. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to do that for 2009?
Very true, Shawnlei. And yet I don't want to lean to the opposite either, and assume that God would want me to stop doing something that He's had me doing at this point just because I can. Perhaps He would rather me keep on, and use the time and money I would exchange for something easier in a different way?
I guess for the first time, I want to be careful to not just say "why wouldn't I?" and also ask "why would I not?"
However, I am secretly hoping your answer is the right one!
I guess for the first time, I want to be careful to not just say "why wouldn't I?" and also ask "why would I not?"
However, I am secretly hoping your answer is the right one!
Without knowing the situations, it's hard to say which way to go. A few thoughts come to mind, though.
Abraham was asked to do a very difficult thing with Isaac. He was fully prepared to do the difficult thing (sacrificing Isaac). After having bound Isaac and after putting him on the altar, Abraham lifts the knife as high as he could and gets ready to plunge it down. Just then, God says - stop! Now that you've shown me that you're ready to do the difficult thing, I'll offer an alternative (ram) to take the place of that.
Jesus was in sort of a similar position. Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me . . . but nevertheless, not my will but thine be done. He was willing to do the difficult thing. Unlike with Abraham, the ram didn't appear. He went to the cross. He was our ram.
Many times God wants us to be willing to do the diffucult thing . . . but then He sometimes provides a substitute. Our sacrifice is often the willingness to do the difficult task. Once we give it up in our hearts, He doesn't necessarily have us give it up in our actions.
Yes, God has taught me a lot of lessons through difficult circumstances. He sometimes also teaches me lessons simply through my willingness to take the hard path, whether or not I actually have to walk it.
Abraham was asked to do a very difficult thing with Isaac. He was fully prepared to do the difficult thing (sacrificing Isaac). After having bound Isaac and after putting him on the altar, Abraham lifts the knife as high as he could and gets ready to plunge it down. Just then, God says - stop! Now that you've shown me that you're ready to do the difficult thing, I'll offer an alternative (ram) to take the place of that.
Jesus was in sort of a similar position. Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me . . . but nevertheless, not my will but thine be done. He was willing to do the difficult thing. Unlike with Abraham, the ram didn't appear. He went to the cross. He was our ram.
Many times God wants us to be willing to do the diffucult thing . . . but then He sometimes provides a substitute. Our sacrifice is often the willingness to do the difficult task. Once we give it up in our hearts, He doesn't necessarily have us give it up in our actions.
Yes, God has taught me a lot of lessons through difficult circumstances. He sometimes also teaches me lessons simply through my willingness to take the hard path, whether or not I actually have to walk it.
I am very encouraged by what I read from the people of Grace. There is deep understanding there and a willingness to really look at what God wants for us. I too have had a few difficult circumstances and I have to agree that sometimes just when I accept the harder path as the one I must travel and am willing to say "Not my will but thine be done' is when he provides the solution / rescue / "easier path" / ??? / that he had planned for me all along.
Dave
Dave
At some of the hardest times in my life, I have been able to make the more difficult choice out of pure blind-eyed, bent-kneed acceptance that it was somehow part of a greater plan. I was beaten by a conviction that throbbed relentlessly against my strong self-centeredness. As much as my flesh wanted relief, I knew that when all was said and done, I'd sit on that side of glory having much rather fulfilled my calling than served myself all the way to meaninglessness. I had to accept that I was not called to an easy life. I was called to a purposeful life. Beth Moore "Esther-It's Tough Being A Women"
Why is tit only spiritual to suffer? Perhaps God has seen that you have learned how to handle hard stuff and wishes to see if you can handle simplicity for a time. God created this world with much pleasure for us and He wants us to enjoy the pleasure. cry out for wisdom, God has promised it, trust the wisdom that He has given.
i hope you're not talking about homeschooling!
Nancy guesses the truth. One of them, at least.
