Friday, September 26
five things I would rather not eat
The all-new Friday Five. Props to Blankenship.
1. bananas
2. turnip greens (sorry, southern heritage)
3. meat that in any way resembles the animal it came from
4. celery
5. things that are gelatinous
1. bananas
2. turnip greens (sorry, southern heritage)
3. meat that in any way resembles the animal it came from
4. celery
5. things that are gelatinous
10 comments:
1. Bananas
2. Greens of any kind
3. Jello/pudding/etc.
4. Peppers
5. Salmon
2. Greens of any kind
3. Jello/pudding/etc.
4. Peppers
5. Salmon
I'm like Mikey, the kid in the Life cereal commercial -- I'll eat anything!
There are some things that I wouldn't order in a restaurant -- ham as a hot entrée, for instance -- but I'm maybe the least finicky person around when it comes to food.
There are some things that I wouldn't order in a restaurant -- ham as a hot entrée, for instance -- but I'm maybe the least finicky person around when it comes to food.
1. Bananas are quite possibly the world's most perfect food
2. Greens go great with hot ham and black-eyed peas
3. hot dogs are okay, but chicken is out?
4. celery -goes with bell peppers and onions to form the "holy trinity" cajun cooking. Red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo...not to mention great with peanut butter, essential addition to hot wings and bloody marys and being the most efficient means of eating ranch dip.
5. Who doesn't like J-E-LL-O (Besides, what would you eat in a hospital?)
Okay, enough about you...five things you can feel free to take off my plate:
1. Beets
2. Radishes (but horseradish is a favorite condiment, but then again so is cayenne pepper)
3. Chocolate-flavored anything (although I like chocolate, particularly the dark variety)
4. Hot pickles (except on a pressed Cuban)
5. Black jellybeans...don't really dig the green ones either
2. Greens go great with hot ham and black-eyed peas
3. hot dogs are okay, but chicken is out?
4. celery -goes with bell peppers and onions to form the "holy trinity" cajun cooking. Red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo...not to mention great with peanut butter, essential addition to hot wings and bloody marys and being the most efficient means of eating ranch dip.
5. Who doesn't like J-E-LL-O (Besides, what would you eat in a hospital?)
Okay, enough about you...five things you can feel free to take off my plate:
1. Beets
2. Radishes (but horseradish is a favorite condiment, but then again so is cayenne pepper)
3. Chocolate-flavored anything (although I like chocolate, particularly the dark variety)
4. Hot pickles (except on a pressed Cuban)
5. Black jellybeans...don't really dig the green ones either
Ew, "gelatinous." I like jello/pudding-y things, but that word makes it sound like swamp scum or something.
I wanna hear the banana story, too...
Okay - mine:
1. Cilantro
2. Peas & carrots (though raw carrots are most excellent)
3. Banana-flavored anything or ripe real bananas - only slightly under-ripe will do
4. Any mystery dish whose title ends with the word "-surprise"
5. Crow ;-)
Okay - mine:
1. Cilantro
2. Peas & carrots (though raw carrots are most excellent)
3. Banana-flavored anything or ripe real bananas - only slightly under-ripe will do
4. Any mystery dish whose title ends with the word "-surprise"
5. Crow ;-)
anne, anne, anne. when will you learn that cilantro makes the world go 'round?
i do love chicken, G, so you got me there. just not fish with eyes, pigs' feet, or the little calamari that still look like they can swim.
i do love chicken, G, so you got me there. just not fish with eyes, pigs' feet, or the little calamari that still look like they can swim.
by the way,
1. banana = bad experience
2. turnip greens = grass
3. meat that looks like animals = too friendly
4. celery = bitter, stringy, stalk of a dandelion
5. gelatinous = should need no explanation, but in case it does:
Gelatin (also gelatine, from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, extracted from the collagen inside animals' connective tissue.
Yes, that is what makes your Jell-o wiggle, my friends. I'll stick with that tasteless unsalted broth at the hospital.
1. banana = bad experience
2. turnip greens = grass
3. meat that looks like animals = too friendly
4. celery = bitter, stringy, stalk of a dandelion
5. gelatinous = should need no explanation, but in case it does:
Gelatin (also gelatine, from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, extracted from the collagen inside animals' connective tissue.
Yes, that is what makes your Jell-o wiggle, my friends. I'll stick with that tasteless unsalted broth at the hospital.
anything with tarragon in it (had an overdose once, ugh), sweetcorn (nooooo, can stand even the smell), parsnips (I once thought some sliced parsnips were french fries when a child, I have never recovered from the shock), duck (not because of the taste, but because I once handreared one and can't cope), and whole tomatoes (i.e. with the jellied pips...it's a texture thing...)
dearest kelly -
Cilantro makes my stomach go round, I'm afraid. It's not pretty.
I know, I live in perpetual darkness.
Cilantro makes my stomach go round, I'm afraid. It's not pretty.
I know, I live in perpetual darkness.

Jeffy