Friday, February 29

leap day

It only comes around every four years, friends: an extra 24 hours. It's like the end of daylight saving time on steroids. Or at least it would be if they handled it like they should, by just throwing in an extra Saturday one week. Why the heck don't they do that?

My mother-in-law is in town from Ohio for a visit, so I thought that these two events combined created the perfect excuse to go to IKEA. If you haven't been, I highly recommend the experience. It's like a giant Swedish candy store, except that the store is a sort of human-sized rat maze, and the candy is cool cheap furniture, endless household trinkets, and meatballs with lingonberry jam.

I do find the whole place a bit ironic, however. It's all designed to make you feel like you're buying into the green, eco-friendly living thing. IKEA has reusable shopping bags, small-scaled furniture, and little sample homes that show you how to live efficiently in 300-, 400- and 600- square-foot spaces.

All inside of their 309,000 square-foot showroom.

I wonder if IKEA is the Swedish word for "sucker?"

|  
Labels:

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)