Wednesday, October 29
politicking
It's been a few days since I wrote, and that's because I promised that my next post would be a political one. Frankly, I'm afraid to open the floodgates. You should probably be scared, too.
I went to vote today. I danced a slow dance with people young and old, rich and poor, as Mike and I shuffled for 55 minutes around a library to get our moment in the booth. In some ways, it seemed almost sacred. Holy. Everyone was hushed, focused, deliberate, reverent.
Of course, it wasn't really holy. It was never meant to be. But somewhere along the way, Christianity and politics slept together, had a bastard child of legislated morality and were forced to get married.
For these opposites, divorce can't come too soon.
Politics is all about self-preservation. Make us safe. Make us comfortable. Make us great.
Christianity is all about self-sacrifice. Make us dangerous. Make us holy. Make us less.
The Church has traded its birthright as the hope of the world for a steaming bowl of legislation and patriotism. We have sold our mission of good news for the poor, freedom for the prisoners, and sight for the blind to the world of policy and pundits. We gave up believing in the transformational power of the gospel and transferred our hope to enforcing spirituality through the Supreme Court.
A few days ago, I asked if God could convict different people to vote for different Presidential candidates. I wish I had asked why Christians give more money, passion and energy to electing Obama or McCain than they do to loving God and their neighbor. According to Jesus, that's something He cares about a whole lot more.
I filled in a circle for my candidate of choice today. I was proud to be free and American and to cast my vote. But I chose a leader of my country, not of my faith. Those offices — Prophet, Priest and King — are already filled.
I went to vote today. I danced a slow dance with people young and old, rich and poor, as Mike and I shuffled for 55 minutes around a library to get our moment in the booth. In some ways, it seemed almost sacred. Holy. Everyone was hushed, focused, deliberate, reverent.
Of course, it wasn't really holy. It was never meant to be. But somewhere along the way, Christianity and politics slept together, had a bastard child of legislated morality and were forced to get married.
For these opposites, divorce can't come too soon.
Politics is all about self-preservation. Make us safe. Make us comfortable. Make us great.
Christianity is all about self-sacrifice. Make us dangerous. Make us holy. Make us less.
The Church has traded its birthright as the hope of the world for a steaming bowl of legislation and patriotism. We have sold our mission of good news for the poor, freedom for the prisoners, and sight for the blind to the world of policy and pundits. We gave up believing in the transformational power of the gospel and transferred our hope to enforcing spirituality through the Supreme Court.
A few days ago, I asked if God could convict different people to vote for different Presidential candidates. I wish I had asked why Christians give more money, passion and energy to electing Obama or McCain than they do to loving God and their neighbor. According to Jesus, that's something He cares about a whole lot more.
I filled in a circle for my candidate of choice today. I was proud to be free and American and to cast my vote. But I chose a leader of my country, not of my faith. Those offices — Prophet, Priest and King — are already filled.
7 comments:
Very good and very true as to our times. But keep in mind that our founding fathers came to this country for religious freedom, based the new government structure on God and godly principles and wanted it to continue that way. It is over the course of 200+ years that many Christians vacated their responsibility to God by vacating their responsibility to see that our government remained as founded. Our 70s and 80s children see only the portion of time when Christians have tried to re-enter the political scene and turn things around, leading to the "going to bed" theory. If we had slept together from 1776, the "bastard child" would not have been born. I hope it is not too late.
Kelly,
On my blog, I should file this under, "When people think far better thoughts than I'll ever think." Thanks for sharing.
On my blog, I should file this under, "When people think far better thoughts than I'll ever think." Thanks for sharing.
Excellent post. It brought about a couple thoughts in my fertile mind.
First, the idea that politics is about self-preservation may be accurate in the current climate. However, back when America was founded, that was quite different. Patrick Henry made the famous statement, "Give me liberty or give me death". That's a statement with which I still wholeheartedly agree, however I know that I'm in the minority. Somehow over the past couple hundred years, that statement changed from "give me liberty or give me death" to just "gimmie". That kind of government has a very short shelf-life, and will soon collapse under the weight people's own selfishness. Sustainable government works to create freedom, liberty, and opportunity--which is inherently "dangerous", and uncertain.
Second, you're absolutely correct. The church has traded in its own birthright. We (the church) are the God-created organization that is supposed to be an advocate for those that need help in this world (the poor, the prisoners, etc.). If we were actually doing our job, there would be no need for an ineffective, incompetent, inefficient government bureaucracy to take on that role.
I fear that it is too late for this country. However, when you look at the eschatological writings in the Bible, there is no mention of a great America-like power. So, I guess this has to happen. As long as God is in control, we'll be fine.
First, the idea that politics is about self-preservation may be accurate in the current climate. However, back when America was founded, that was quite different. Patrick Henry made the famous statement, "Give me liberty or give me death". That's a statement with which I still wholeheartedly agree, however I know that I'm in the minority. Somehow over the past couple hundred years, that statement changed from "give me liberty or give me death" to just "gimmie". That kind of government has a very short shelf-life, and will soon collapse under the weight people's own selfishness. Sustainable government works to create freedom, liberty, and opportunity--which is inherently "dangerous", and uncertain.
Second, you're absolutely correct. The church has traded in its own birthright. We (the church) are the God-created organization that is supposed to be an advocate for those that need help in this world (the poor, the prisoners, etc.). If we were actually doing our job, there would be no need for an ineffective, incompetent, inefficient government bureaucracy to take on that role.
I fear that it is too late for this country. However, when you look at the eschatological writings in the Bible, there is no mention of a great America-like power. So, I guess this has to happen. As long as God is in control, we'll be fine.
Thanks for the dialogue so far.
I do agree with you in part, anonymous; I think our country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic. But that is NOT because our Founding Fathers set out to found a Judeo-Christian government. It is because most of them operated from a Judeo-Christian worldview.
Government began leaking its Christian principles when the people involved in it ceased to have that worldview. But instead of waking up and seeing that this was a failure of the Church to change lives for Christ and shape the hearts and minds of men from the ground up, Christians panicked about the change in government and began trying to shape hearts and minds from the top down. It won't work.
You've got me going now. I'm going to have to write another post.
I do agree with you in part, anonymous; I think our country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic. But that is NOT because our Founding Fathers set out to found a Judeo-Christian government. It is because most of them operated from a Judeo-Christian worldview.
Government began leaking its Christian principles when the people involved in it ceased to have that worldview. But instead of waking up and seeing that this was a failure of the Church to change lives for Christ and shape the hearts and minds of men from the ground up, Christians panicked about the change in government and began trying to shape hearts and minds from the top down. It won't work.
You've got me going now. I'm going to have to write another post.
Kelly,
Excellent writing per usual. Thank you. I hope we all through this political season can understand why someone who loves Jesus thinks differently than we do. My lament is that, as you pointed out, many have ceded to self preservation, but also prideful justice, on both sides...
Bobby
Excellent writing per usual. Thank you. I hope we all through this political season can understand why someone who loves Jesus thinks differently than we do. My lament is that, as you pointed out, many have ceded to self preservation, but also prideful justice, on both sides...
Bobby
I think these words apply. We'll sing them tomorrow AM. http://www.klove.com/lyrics/lyrics.asp?2482

"I chose a leader of my country, not of my faith."
Thank you for releasing these thoughts so clearly.