Sunday, January 6

in the most unlikely places

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about Mike, in which I said many nice things about him. All true. I also said that he was not perfect. Also true. And now it is time to share with you one reason why.

I was riding down Hwy 17-92 today on the way to the store, when I discovered that one of our radio presets had been changed to a country music station.

I'd suspected it for awhile. I'd turned on the TV once or twice to find that the last channel selected was CMT. I caught him recording a Crossroads now and then. But the preset button! Until this he'd only been casually dating country music. Now he was in a committed relationship.

If you know my tastes in music, they are pretty eclectic, but they don't often make a detour to Nashville. I did stop and listen to the tune that came on when I passed by today, however, for two reasons: 1) they said it was the number one country song of 2007, and 2) the DJ announced that it was sung by someone named Rodney Adkins*, so I thought I might be in for a cut of the royalties if I wanted to admit I was related to the guy.

The song, Watching You, was about a little boy who watched his dad do both wrong things and right things and imitated his every move. I was just about to move my finger to a superior preset when the dad sang that after one of his bigger mistakes with his son, he went out to his barn, fell on his knees, and prayed the following profound and beautiful prayer:

"Lord, please help me help my stupid self."

I think that about sums it up, and I also think I might listen to more country music now and again.

* I did find out later that Rodney spells his name "Atkins," so no dice on the money. But in my search, I found another big country music star with the Adkins last name spelled our way: Trace Adkins. I think he looks an awful lot like Mike, so I may still have some royalty hope...

3 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)