Tuesday, January 27
so i finally did this.
I'm generally not fond of memes. But I've been tagged a dozen times or more for this one, and I'm too weary to write the blog that's on my heart tonight. So Facebook friends, this one's for you:
25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
1. All of my foreign travel (five countries) has involved missions. In most cases, this sounds a lot holier than it actually was.
2. Apparently, many people think I don’t like them when I meet them. Honestly, I’m probably just shy or preoccupied. Or else I just don't like you.
3. However, I genuinely didn’t like Mike when I first met him. But he grew on me faster than mildew in the Florida July, and the rest is history.
4. I promised myself that I would never marry a pastor.
5. I am not that great at keeping promises to myself.
6. I’m one of those neurotic people who write things on their lists after they do them just so they can cross them off.
7. On my to-do list for life: learn to play the guitar, visit the Northwest, go to an Olympic games.
8. I cannot watch people make fools of themselves on TV, a la American Idol rejects, or that video of the Miss Teen South Carolina girl. I have to physically leave the room.
9. With rare exception, I hate going to the movies. I’d much rather do something else with my two and half hours, and I see plenty of comedy and tragedy firsthand in my line of work.
10. I played classical piano so well as a child that I was invited into a college program at age 12. I couldn’t play a song that well now even if nuclear disarmament depended on it.
11. I almost died at the end of my pregnancy with my first child; Clayton was 2 lbs, 9 oz and was born while I was in a coma on life support. For a time, I considered a lawsuit against the writers of What to Expect When You’re Expecting.
12. And as if that weren’t enough, I couldn’t move a muscle in my body for weeks after I came out of the coma. I went through months of physical therapy to get the strength to talk, write, and walk again. I learned a lot, but I recommend that you just listen to God the easy way.
13. My hair is already more than 70 percent gray. I come from a long line of proud, strong, prematurely-geriatric-looking people.
14. Never-in-a-million-years did I think I’d be a graphic designer. Or do anything artistic for a living. I am so Left-Brained; it still puzzles me.
15. I had a secret, distant romance with someone for years, before I ever met Mike. Wouldn’t you like to know?
16. I've had severe asthma since I was 20. Two little inhalers keep me alive from day to day.
17. I grew up in Memphis, Tennessee. If you scratch me, a Southern Girl will still magically appear and offer you biscuits and gravy.
18. I have a Master’s Degree, and the only thing it ever gave me was the license to say that phrase.
19. I was a band geek in elementary and junior high: flute in the symphonic, piccolo in the marching.
20. I feel most alive when I’m singing.
21. But I have never wanted to sing for a living.
22. I love Disney World with a passionate love. It is the thing that makes living in Florida tolerable. Oh, and all you nice people, of course.
23. I tend to be generous with my stuff but stingy with my time and affections.
24. I was told by doctors as a child that I’d never be taller than 5 feet, and I was always the shortest in my class pictures. But I grew six inches in the summer before high school — and now I’m exactly that much taller than the medical predictions.
25. I could kill you in a game of Trivial Pursuit. Like make you cry. You big baby.
25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
1. All of my foreign travel (five countries) has involved missions. In most cases, this sounds a lot holier than it actually was.
2. Apparently, many people think I don’t like them when I meet them. Honestly, I’m probably just shy or preoccupied. Or else I just don't like you.
3. However, I genuinely didn’t like Mike when I first met him. But he grew on me faster than mildew in the Florida July, and the rest is history.
4. I promised myself that I would never marry a pastor.
5. I am not that great at keeping promises to myself.
6. I’m one of those neurotic people who write things on their lists after they do them just so they can cross them off.
7. On my to-do list for life: learn to play the guitar, visit the Northwest, go to an Olympic games.
8. I cannot watch people make fools of themselves on TV, a la American Idol rejects, or that video of the Miss Teen South Carolina girl. I have to physically leave the room.
9. With rare exception, I hate going to the movies. I’d much rather do something else with my two and half hours, and I see plenty of comedy and tragedy firsthand in my line of work.
10. I played classical piano so well as a child that I was invited into a college program at age 12. I couldn’t play a song that well now even if nuclear disarmament depended on it.
11. I almost died at the end of my pregnancy with my first child; Clayton was 2 lbs, 9 oz and was born while I was in a coma on life support. For a time, I considered a lawsuit against the writers of What to Expect When You’re Expecting.
12. And as if that weren’t enough, I couldn’t move a muscle in my body for weeks after I came out of the coma. I went through months of physical therapy to get the strength to talk, write, and walk again. I learned a lot, but I recommend that you just listen to God the easy way.
13. My hair is already more than 70 percent gray. I come from a long line of proud, strong, prematurely-geriatric-looking people.
14. Never-in-a-million-years did I think I’d be a graphic designer. Or do anything artistic for a living. I am so Left-Brained; it still puzzles me.
15. I had a secret, distant romance with someone for years, before I ever met Mike. Wouldn’t you like to know?
16. I've had severe asthma since I was 20. Two little inhalers keep me alive from day to day.
17. I grew up in Memphis, Tennessee. If you scratch me, a Southern Girl will still magically appear and offer you biscuits and gravy.
18. I have a Master’s Degree, and the only thing it ever gave me was the license to say that phrase.
19. I was a band geek in elementary and junior high: flute in the symphonic, piccolo in the marching.
20. I feel most alive when I’m singing.
21. But I have never wanted to sing for a living.
22. I love Disney World with a passionate love. It is the thing that makes living in Florida tolerable. Oh, and all you nice people, of course.
23. I tend to be generous with my stuff but stingy with my time and affections.
24. I was told by doctors as a child that I’d never be taller than 5 feet, and I was always the shortest in my class pictures. But I grew six inches in the summer before high school — and now I’m exactly that much taller than the medical predictions.
25. I could kill you in a game of Trivial Pursuit. Like make you cry. You big baby.
14 comments:
#2 and #17 made me laugh.
I do #6 all the time. I also like to fill in my day planner with activities I did prior to getting said day planner, just so I can refer back to previous days/weeks.
#22. I could have written that first sentence. :-)
#11. I have so many people not to read that book. I hated it so much that I threw my copy away.
#22. I could have written that first sentence. :-)
#11. I have so many people not to read that book. I hated it so much that I threw my copy away.
I thought you liked me when I first met you, if it's any consolation. I will also scratch you next time I see you to get my biscuits and gravy.
#11 and #12...what??!!
#8, 9, and 13... i get terrible secondhand embarrassment. poor dana loves movies but i really can't stand sitting for that long. i can't remember the last movie i saw in it's entirety in my own home. i have also inherited the gene for premature greys. my mom was completely salt and pepper gray by her thirties. i have a nice little "rogue" (from x-men) streak that is currently covered up. covering up my greys makes dana sad, haha.
You fogot to add your distaste for bananas.
Okay, #26: I would rather eat a live animal than eat a banana.
boy this 25 things list has really made it way around facebook... I love list like this (although haven't made it around to doing it myself). Interesting to see what is important enough to say in 25 items and what people chose to say and not say. Great post.
I got a devious charge out of #13, particularly since I know you're about 12 years younger than me, heh, heh, heh...I keep thinking someone should invent a pill to keep us chicks from turning gray - they'd make a fortune!
J/
J/
I really didn't feel like doing this 25 thing list myself, so I figured I'd hijack yours and call it a day.
We have a number of similarities (which probably contributed to me liking you almost right away), but we are polar opposites on the movie issue. I really enjoy the detachment of drama for which I have NO responsibility! I often feel recharged after a movie because I've had my brain in a totally different gear for two hours.
I might have to test the biscuits&gravy bit one Sunday morning...one of my favorite food groups!
When did you live in Memphis? We were there in the early Seventies.
We have a number of similarities (which probably contributed to me liking you almost right away), but we are polar opposites on the movie issue. I really enjoy the detachment of drama for which I have NO responsibility! I often feel recharged after a movie because I've had my brain in a totally different gear for two hours.
I might have to test the biscuits&gravy bit one Sunday morning...one of my favorite food groups!
When did you live in Memphis? We were there in the early Seventies.
#25 has me day-dreaming about a Trivial Pursuit battle royale with you, my husband, and my mom (I would be safely spectating/refereeing from a far distance.) I would seriously pay money to witness that event, actually. And William told me he saw you at school, and I was amazed to find out that he did not scratch you to see if you really would make him biscuits and gravy. It's his fave. Being a Floridian and therefore not a real Southerner, I don't make biscuits and gravy. (I will, however, eat them.)
I wonder what it would feel like to lose at Trivial Pursuit and I make a mean biscuits and gravy.
I love that i knew all but two of these things about you. #1 and #7 were surprises to me.

And also totally agree with #20, too.